2:30pm EST - A new week for Rust development is underway and the team is making some great progress. With a ton of bug fixes, tweaks to antihack, exploit fixes, and decay added to several deployables, we should have a solid update on Thursday. Let’s get into it...
Andre has added decay to several deployables including sleeping bags, tool cupboards, barricades, and traps. Causing shifts to base upkeep, bag placement in the wild, raiding, and other things, a change like this sparks a bunch of questions - so I asked Andre for some clarification:
- The decay timer reset on deployables is linked to the building it is placed on (so a cupboard on a foundation will reset when an attached door is used).
- The sleeping bag decay timer does not reset when you spawn in it, making any bags placed on open land purely temporary spawn points.
- A cupboard will decay fully in 3 days. This is about the same speed as stone and faster than metal / armor. Note: this may change as no balance pass has been made yet.
- The overall idea is that a cupboard will decay before the rest of an abandoned base.
Helk has been working with the prerelease branch - making progress on the new XP system. So far he’s merged in all the latest changes from the main branch and fixed several issues arising from the merge.
There is a ways to go on the new XP system and a launch date is still unknown. If you’d like to try it out yourself, simply opt your client into the prerelease branch and join a server.
To combat hackers, a slew of new antihack features were added last week. Unfortunately, these new countermeasures have been resulting in some false positives - kicking legit players for violations. Andre has made some tweaks to this system, so hopefully we’ll be seeing less uncalled for kicks once this update hits.
Andre has also fixed several exploits regarding line of sight issues with the helicopter and fixed an exploit which allowed players to disable gunshot sounds.
A physics bug has been causing some servers to crash randomly since the last update. Thankfully, the team has tracked the issue down and implemented a fix which is now being tested on the staging branch.
- Tool cupboards can now be repaired.
- Fix for jerky player animation when holding a rock
- Fixed a bunch of graphical glitches when reverse depth is enabled (graphics.revz 1)
- tweaked the 3rd person pickaxe animations so it doesnt clip into the player
- Added ‘decay.tick’ as a startup parameter to set
- Fixed estimated player velocity being extremely inaccurate during server lag
- Fixed "invisible water purifier" issue
- Fixed a case where the water purifier bucket could not be interacted with