6:42pm EST - If you want to try out the farming, opt your client into the development branch and join our dev branch server on the official list.
5:14pm EST - We've got corn!
2:42pm EST - With one day before the big update, Garry committed a work in progress version of farming to the development branch. Here’s the run-down...
How farming works
Two new food items have been added to the game: pumpkins and pumpkin seeds.
You eat a pumpkin, it gives 4 seeds (and quenches a good amount of hunger and thirst). You can then plant those seeds in the ground by equipping them to your hotbar and pressing fire on the ground. Gradually, over time and depending on where you planted them, little sprouts will grow. Eventually, little pumpkins will appear and you’ll be able to pick them. Eat them, get more seeds, and the circle of life continues.
I had a brief back and forth with Garry about farming, here’s some more info:
- First and foremost, keep in mind this is a first iteration and much balance is going to be needed
- You’ll get seeds from plants randomly growing around the map
- Pumpkins are the only vegetable at the moment, however, more will be added soon
- The best place to plant is in dirt or the forest
- They do not grow at night and they hate the cold
- There is no way to water them currently, however, that will be added shortly (maybe before tomorrow's update)
- Each plant has a genetic value to determine how likely it is to survive harsh conditions
- The long term goal is to only have plants spawn in certain parts of the map to encourage farming and trading.
- Server owners can play with plant growth rates with two commands: server.planttick and server.planttickscale
Here’s a couple pictures of some plants in progress:
No more bullet stopping hemp
In addition to adding farming, Garry has fixed a glitch with the hemp plants which caused them to block bullets.
Alex has added a couple of new sounds. The quarry is now much less abrasive, metal doors have a different sound than wood, and chickens no longer squawk like they have a thumb up their ass (thank God!).
Want to support Rustafied? Become a patron.