2:30pm EST - The update and devblog are out!
2:00pm EST - Our update stream is live! twitch.tv/rustafied
11:50am EST - The recoil stuff was merged in this morning, added some more specifics below.
12:00am EST - Update day is upon us and we’re seeing improvements to recoil, a buff to buckshot, optimizations, and more.
Update summary video
Here's our update summary video from Puddy!
In the wake of the drastic recoil changes from last week, Helk has iterated on aimcone behavior. Bullets now have a chance of going directly where you’re aiming, instead of simply landing anywhere in the aimcone. As Helk told me, it should feel much more like Battlefield.
With these fundamental shifts to recoil, there have been a bunch of changes to weapons and ammo. Here's a rundown:
- Automatic weapons + SAR have their aimcones weighted so a few more shots will land in the center rather than the edges
- AK47 slightly higher horizontal recoil and slightly lower max aimcone
- Double barrel shotgun has less recoil aimcone
- Eoka has less aimcone
- Handmade shell does 9 damage per pellet instead of 7
- Handmade shell spread increased slightly and pellet velocity decreased
The spread of buckshot pellets has been improved upon by Helk this week. Similar to the recoil changes, pellets now have an affinity towards the center as opposed to randomly going anywhere in the aimcone (about 20% of pellets are weighted to the center).
With this change, their range has been nerfed slightly - damage falloff is now faster, losing effectiveness at around 40 meters. See Helk’s tweet for a before and after shot.
Slug cost halved
Helk has cut the cost of shotgun slugs in half!
20 gun powder
10 gun powder
P2P packet flooding fix
A potential fix is in for the player to player attack which has been prevalent for some time now. Andre has added maxpeerspersecond client convar, which hopefully helps mitigate the p2p packet flooding attack.
Helk has improved some characteristics of the newly added Dropbox item. First, items no longer auto submit when you put them in (this has been applied to the Mailbox, too). Also, the Dropbox no longer tosses items into the world when dragged into a full dropbox, they simply go back to the slot they originated. Finally, like items will automatically stack when dragged in. These simple UX changes should make using the dropbox a bit more functional.
Andre has tweaked some things with textures to increase performance. Along with optimizing anisotropic and trilinear filtering settings on workshop skins, the minimum AF setting on all textures is no longer forced (only the maximum) allowing for lower qualities and hence, better performance.
- Added server.woundingenabled - if set to false players always die instead of wounding
- Clamp NPC walk animation speed (effect spamming fix)
- A lot of tweaks to shaders (see devblog for more details)
- Small tweaks to the small clutter rock scales
- Dungeon art progress (rocket factory dungeon)
- Hapis improvements second iteration under way
- Fixed crazy emissive laser disco blobs (I love Diogo’s commits)
- Fixed viewmodel going crazy when ADS immediately after weapon deploy