3:15pm EST - Update just lauched and the devblog is live!
2:00pm EST - Our update stream is live! twitch.tv/rustafied
12:05am EST - Update day is here and with it we’re seeing a bunch of balance, tweaks, and fixes, along with an exciting new way to store items!
This update will not force a wipe, however, weekly wipe servers will reset when the update hits (or sooner in some EU cases). Our update stream goes live at 2pm EST and follow @Rustafied for news throughout the day. Let’s get into it…
Update summary video
Here's this weeks update summary from Puddy
A new, convenient way of storing loadouts is here! Lockers have been added by Helk, and they provide a type of inventory management never before seen in Rust: hot swapping multiple items with the click of a button.
With 3 sections holding 12 items each, the lockers enable players to store and swap their loadouts quicker than ever before. Simply craft a locker, place it, then click one of the swap buttons to have all items currently equipped in your hotbar and clothing slots moved into the locker. Want them back? Just click the swap button again to have them returned to your inventory.
Lockers can only be placed on foundations and take up about as much space as a salvaged shelf. Also, like storage boxes, locks can be placed on lockers to secure the loot inside.
A new development tool has been added by Garry this week. Demos are now able to be recorded and played back, allowing moderators and devs to reproduce bugs which happen in servers. Similar to the source engine, these demos record the entire environment, and allow viewers to playback from different vantage points (like debug camera and 3rd person).
This functionality is obviously not available to every player, as it would result in people recording a demo then flying around in free cam to view in others bases. It does, however, pose interesting new opportunities for content creators.
For more on this, check out the post from Garry.
Helk has tweaked some things about the newly added base decor. Most important, items like rugs, chairs, and tables can no longer be picked up by anyone. You now must have cupboard access and equip a hammer to grab them. Also, the cost of chairs and tables have been reduced. Here are some numbers:
Base defense has become a bit more affordable this week as Helk lowered the price of the turret and flame turret. Here are some new numbers:
15 high quality
5 propane tanks
10 high quality
5 propane tanks
75 high quality
40 high quality
Attack heli always napalms
Helk has switched up how the attack helicopter handles its fiery napalm strikes. Instead of only doing napalm strafes if tool cupboard access is detected, it'll now fire them all the time, regardless of TC. With this shift, Helk has made it so napalm only damages players, not buildings.
Out of stock VM red on map
Consumers of the Rust landscape have a bit more insight into the vending machines around the map this week. Helk has made it so any VM’s which are completely out of stock show up on the map with a red icon instead of green.
Skin memory leak fix / itemskins cvar
A nasty performance killer related to custom skins has been plaguing people recently. Thankfully, Andre has fixed a memory leak related to skins which failed to load. He’s also added a new client cvar which allows players to toggle off custom skins entirely. To try it out, simply type ‘itemskins 0’ in console (F1). To turn it back on, just switch that to ‘itemskins 1’.
An exploit became apparent earlier this week allowing people to see through bushes by setting their antialiasing to TSSAA. This has been fixed, so no more transparent bushes after the update hits today.
Gooseman and Alex have been rocking out a bunch of fixes and tweaks to weapon animations and world models. Here are some highlights:
- Crossbow world model fixed
- Added new silencer smoke f/x when shooting
- Tweaked the position of the muzzleflashes when a muzzlebrake is added
- Tweaked the offset for the thompson viewmodel holosight
- Tone down the recoil animation when firing (ADS)
- Improved revolver 3rd person animations.
Fish provides animal fat
A new source of fat is here: Fish. Gutting a small trout now provides 3 animal fat along with the existing bone fragments and raw fish.
- Fixed invisible LR-300 worldmodel bug
- Flashlight lod updates
- Crossbow world model uv fixes
- Reduced mesh compression on weapon world models
- Rocket launcher world model uv fixes
- Sound creation optimization
- Physics sounds are quieter unless the impact is pretty hard
- Lower vertex counts on Stone & Sheet Metal tiers
- Added multithreaded mesh batching
- Added better profiling
- Fixed workshop skin memory leak
- Fixed plant material memory leak
- Optimized workshop skin loading
- Added "itemskins" convar to disable workshop skins
- Made network cells more granular
- Optimized client side plant entities
- Fixed craft canceling sometimes losing resources when inventory is full
- Dense bushes have an extra LOD
- Heli always strafes with napalm if target has no TC access
- Lowered cost of AutoTurret
- Autoturret parts found in purple crates + towns
- Lowered cost of flame turret
- C4 won't stick to Decor Deployables
- Decor Deployables can only be picked up with TC access + hammer equipped
- Out of Stock Vending machines show up as red on the map
- Fish provides animal fat
- Fixed being unable to place walls next to a metal shopfront on a triangle foundation
- Fixed SAR buff/SAP nerf reversion
- Fixed Harbor 2 not showing up on map