3:00pm EST - The devblog and update are live!
2:00pm EST - Our update stream is live!
11:45am EST - With just a few hours before the update goes live, the team is still rocking out awesome changes. Here are the latest highlights:
- Increased throwable and arrow headshot multiplier to 1.5
- Increased revolver cylinder to hold 8 rounds
- Increased semi auto pistol magazine to hold 10 rounds
- Loot tables: slightly more chance of ammo, slightly less of weapons
- Full clothing and armor balancing pass (15% more body damage when fully geared)
- Bandage and syringe no longer revive players
12:30am EST - Holy fuck, now this is how you start a month! Facepunch is on point - listening to the community by implementing worthwhile suggestions. This update includes new items along with a slew of improvements and balance tweaks (taken mostly straight from player feedback).
As with all first Thursdays of the month, this update comes with a forced map wipe. There is no forced XP wipe planned (and Rustafied servers will not be wiping XP or levels).
Double barrel is in!
The double barrel shotgun is here, and oh boy, is it loud! This mid-level beast accepts all shotgun ammo (handmade, buckshot, and slug), fires two rounds (one at a time) before needing a reload, and looks freaking awesome!
Unlocked at level 15, it yields about 150% the damage of the waterpipe. As Helk explained to me, “the idea being you can finish someone off with that second shot before they can reload or switch to another pipe.”
Here are some pictures and details:
Satchel charges added
A new, lower tier way of raiding has been added: The satchel charge. Made of 4 beancan grenades and a small stash, this explosive package is good for destroying wood and sheet metal doors. They take 30 seconds to craft, stack to 10, and are unlocked at level 15. They also exhibit beancan behavior (meaning there can be duds, short fuses, long fuses, etc.).
1 small stash
Cost to unlock
Satchels required to break shit:
Sheet metal door
Sheet metal wall
In additional to the new raiding tool, Helk has shifted the balance of certain raid dynamics. It now only takes 2 seconds to craft 10 gunpowder, and explosives are crafted in half the time (5 seconds instead of 10). Also, C4 now costs 5 fewer explosives (20 instead of 25).
A long wished for nerf, delay has been added to helping wounded players. It now takes 6 seconds to revive someone, during which, the healing player cannot move.
Placeable objects (furnace, box, etc.) along with building blocks can now be rotated! Simply press ‘R’ while the placement guide is out and the object will rotate 90 degrees.
After fixing an (awesome) exploit which allowed for box stacking, Helk has thrown us another bone by making shelves cheaper and available at a much lower level. They now cost 100 wood, 50 metal frags, and are unlockable at level 5.
Shelves weren’t the only things to be made available sooner, a slew of other objects have had similar shifts:
- Waterpipe available at level 13
- Armored door is available at level 17 (was 20)
- Spike trap available at level 5
- Ladder available at level 10
- Wood barricade available at level 8, woodwire 12, metal 14
Raiders watch out! A ‘ying’ to the explosives ‘yang’ this week, The autoturret has been severely buffed. Health and armor have both increased while the damage output has been increased by 50%.
As one of his first actions back from vacation, Helk made it so you can once again sprint while reloading the crossbow. Nothing has changed about the damage dealt.
Edit: The arrow headshot multiplier has now been increased to 1.5!
You now earn XP from bandaging and syringing other players (max 1.0 per use). You also gain XP if someone uses your bandage or syringe. Finally, the gather diminishing from others has been removed and the max XP which can be earned from said gather diminish is now 2.
Andre has tweaked how bleeding works and is displayed. The bleeding rate is 20 damage per minute and bleed causing weapons add 20 bleeding per 100 damage that was dealt (so if you do 50 damage to someone, they will have 10 bleed). Also, bleeding is now displayed as total damage that will be applied over the bleeding duration.
Balance and quality of life changes
The team has also made a bunch of quality of life changes. Here are some highlights:
- Loot tables: can find all types of bullets in groups of 8-20
- Loot tables: can find flamethrower w/ammo, custom smg w/ammo, multiple grenades
- Halved crafting time for ladder, bed, campfire, ceiling light, cupboard, bow, crossbow
- Changed how armor absorbs damage (so clothing and armor correctly add up)
- Bean cans are slightly more expensive
- Fixed jumping animation not playing when player repeatedly jumps in rapid succession
- Fixed explosive rounds dealing almost double explosive damage
- Fixed rock box stacking exploits (RUST-1145)
- Fixed high external walls/gates being placeable in foundations (RUST-41)
- Added ammo type to combat log
- Added hurt admin console command (takes amount of damage as parameter) - this basically just allows admins to hurt themselves. You know, 'cause sometimes you just want to know what it's like to feel something again...
Graphics overhaul - not today.
I confirmed with Petur earlier, his work on the graphic overhaul branch will not be making it in this update. Although I’m really looking forward to the beauty this overhaul brings, I’m totally OK with it not launching today. Beauty, prior to optimization, is often accompanied by low FPS, and that's the last thing we need with this update.
Expect this branch to launch to staging / prerelease shortly after the update hits.
New Rustafied server: Barren
I’m happy to announce we are opening a new server! Running the optimized procedurally generated map, Barren, this server will focus on peak performance for those who need every frame per second they can get. In conjunction with the FPS improvements naturally provided by Barren, this 150 slot server will have a one week wipe cycle - because entity counts are a leading cause in shitty performance.
Hosting wise, I've purchased a new dedicated box for Chicago where our Medium server will now live (by itself). The new Barren server will share a box with our Small server. It opens today when the update launches. Stay tuned for specific connect info.
12:40pm EST Edit - Our Barren server is now officially live (on the same IP:PORT medium was on). Medium has moved to a new IP - find it on the official list. Note: the Barren server will wipe again when the update hits, but you can get a head start on farming XP now!