7/26 @ 6:15pm EST - Not a huge week for commits so far - mostly more dungeon art, graphics overhaul and bug fixes. Check back Thursday for a full rundown of the week.
6:37pm EST - A server update just hit which fixes broken weapon attachments.
3:40pm EST - Client and server updates are live! Oh, and the devblog is out, too.
2:00pm EST - Our update stream is live!
12:00pm EST - It's been a week of balance and tweaking for the team at Facepunch. Although we're not seeing much of any new features or items coming in today, we do have a bunch of changes to XP gains, weapon damage, and item costs - also some more sneak peaks at the upcoming graphics overhaul.
So long, bow raids
In a not so popular decision, Andre has made it so bows no longer damage structures - effectively ending bow raiding as we know it. As a slight counter to this, Helk has made it so wood doors are much more vulnerable to explosives.
There have been a bunch of tweaks to the costs of items. Here is a rundown:
- Mid to high end melee weapons are now cheaper
- Small stash is now 10 cloth
- Roadsign more expensive
- Ceiling lights are cheaper and cast more light (lowgrade fuel keeps lights lit longer)
- Town sign is cheaper
Weapon damage changes
Andre has made a bunch of changes to how damage is calculated. The main change to note is projectile damage falls off linearly with distance (after an initial max damage distance). That means that the farther away your target, the less damage you’ll deal. There’s also been some damage changes to individual weapons. Here are the highlights:
- Shotgun buckshot uses headshot damage multiplier of 1.25 (which is less than before)
- Crossbow now has the same headshot multiplier as the bow (which is less than it had before).
- Bow damage is the same as before - just not as RNG based anymore.
Helk also modified The level at which two items are unlocked:
- Lasersight at 24 instead of 25
- Sentry 18 instead of 24 (parts now spawn rarely in rad towns too)
Helk has also made some changes to loot spawns. First, he’s made it less likely to find a high end weapon in rad towns. He’s also made it so trash piles refresh their contents twice as fast - this includes the XP gain on opening.
Helk has also made several tweaks to XP gains. Here's the rundown:
- If someone kills an animal with your tool, you get xp
- Ownership share for providing resources increased to 50%
- No more barrel sniping (need to be close by to get XP)
- Doubled max xp for finding barrels/loot crates (helps with late game grind, less xp falloff )
- Increased gathering maximum XP by 50%
- Increased max xp from others crafting item
- Increased xp earn rate from others gathering for you (diminishing still in effect)
Petur has continued his work on the graphics overhaul branch. As you may recall from the other week, this body of work in this at improving the overall look and feel of the Rust landscape. Earlier this week, he tweeted two more preview video links.
- Cupboards can be placed closer to walls
- Hoodie armor buffed
- You can no longer put items back in loot crates to prevent respawning.
- More dungeon art progress (expect visuals as we get closer to August).
- Rocket splash is fixed.