6:25pm EST - If you want to see the weather for yourself, you'll need to opt your client into the development branch.
2:00pm EST - With one day to go before the update, we officially have weather! On top of that, we’ve got a bunch of new fixes and improvements to gameplay. I’m actually feeling under the weather today, so I’m going to keep this article brief then head back to bed. Let’s get into it…
Weather is in!
Andre merged the weather branch into main a little while ago and, holy shit, has this entirely changed the feel of the game! The shift in environment between sunny, to sun shower, to foggy, to downpour has upped the immersion factor ten fold. No two days are alike and there’s no weather forecast to know what you’re in for as you head out for the day (increased PvE elements? Hell yeah!).
I chatted with Andre briefly and got these important tidbits of information:
- Rain will make you wet and subsequently more prone to cold.
- Snow will make you less wet, but still makes you cold.
- Shelter (house, caves, etc) does protect you from these new weather elements.
- There are now days, months and years instead of just time of day.
- The system is completely dynamic, meaning no two days are ever exactly alike.
- Given the dynamism of the system, tweaks will of course be needed over time.
Here’s some pictures and a quick look video:
While Andre works on weather, the rest of the team is working on fixes and improvements. Here’s some highlights:
- Right click in loot boxes to move item straight to your inventory
- Spears / Arrows that are stuck in items will now drop when the object is destroyed (as opposed to disappearing)
- Droppable items combine and stack when they collide
- You can’t drag more than the max stack amount
- Locks on wood storage are no longer disappearing
- Optimizations for Battle Royale
- Bow fixes
- VoiceMute flag added for mods
- Roadsign armor jacket models have been added (not implemented yet)