6:30pm EST - Update is live!
6:20pm EST - Devblog is live! http://playrust.com/devblog-59/ - update is pending.
6:00pm EST - Playing with SMG and Beancan Grenades on dev till the update hits! Join and watch here: http://www.twitch.tv/rustafied/
5:33pm EST - The update isn't quite out yet but the SMG just made it into dev. Here's some important info and a short video:
- Cost: 300 frags, 100 wood, 10 cloth
- Crafting time: 3 minutes (180 seconds)
- Rounds in chamber: 24
- Ammo used: Pistol
- Rate of fire: Fucking fast!
4:55pm EST - No sign of the update yet, Jenkins is still doing his thing.
4:10pm EST - Steam and Jenkins are back, we're in business!
4:00pm EST - Welp, Steam is down.
3:48pm EST - Jenkins has been offline for a bit now. That is not good.
3:27pm EST - Jenkins is being so fucking slow today! I'm guessing that is going to cause the update to launch later than normal. Also, doesn't look like Hapis is going to be unsucked this week.
2:55pm EST - We've got some movement on the unsuck Hapis branch... might that make it into main today? I hope so...
2:45pm EST - Helk just shared with me a fun thing about the beancan grenade: If the fuse fails and you pick it up, there is a small chance the fuse will start again and blow in 3 seconds... lol.
2:20pm EST - Submachine gun (SMG) is in!!
1:46pm EST - The dev build is still fucked as Jenkins continues failing uploads. Looks like some connectivity issues at Facepunch may be the culprit. Either way, this doesn't bode well for an early update release today...
1:19pm EST - Created a poll for how often blueprints should wipe now that the research table is in.
12:06pm EST - Added a quick video of the beancan grenade.
11:10am EST - Added more info and pictures below of the research table and beancan grenade.
2:40am EST - That’s right, it’s motherfucking update day! We’ve got a good one in store for you this week: a research table, beancan that goes boom, paper maps, and even an unsucked Hapis map. If anything like the past weeks, this update will go live between 4 and 6pm EST (8-10pm GMT). A map wipe will not be forced, however, servers are subject to wipe at owners discretion (Rustafied server wipe status below). As always, I’ll keep you posted here and on @Rustafied throughout the day. Before we get into it, I have a request…
Become a Patron of Rustafied
Despite our servers official status, we are an independent operation, not operated by Facepunch. I love doing this, and want to continue, but in order to do so, I need your support. Please watch the short video below and consider becoming a patron of Rustafied.
Thank you all for your support!
Patreon not your thing but still want to show support?
Make a one time donation.
Grinding barrels and scouring rad towns are no longer the only way to achieve blueprint superiority; allow me to introduce the Research Table. Helk has been toiling away on this bad boy for a couple days now, and the first implementation is ready to go. I stayed up late, sipping my wine, waiting for that motherfucker, Jenkins, so I could test this table. Much to my chagrin, as I write this, the build has yet to go live.
Thankfully, I had a quick chat with Helk and got the lowdown of how it works:
- To create a research table:
- 1500 wood
- 1000 metal frags
- 1 repair bench (500 wood, 1000 frags)
- To research an item, you’ll need:
- The item
- The resources it takes to craft said item
- 10 paper (1000 wood)
- It destroys the item or lowers its condition to 0
- You have a 30% chance of getting a blueprint from it
- That chance is scaled based on the quality of the item
- It takes 10 seconds to research (seems a bit short)
- Blueprints are not automatically studied, it produces an item you can drop
- So, if you repair the broken item and try again, the chance of getting a blueprint is less
- It is default blueprint (no, you don't have to grind more to craft it)
- It is 'programmer art' for now (a bright blue version of the repair bench)
- No sign of this forcing a blueprint wipe
Awesome. If anything, maybe a little inexpensive, but let’s see how that 30% feels when we’re in game. Either way, Helk made a point of saying this is not a final implementation, he has a better idea coming up. Here's some pictures:
Let's talk blueprint wipes for a sec.
Now that we can research things, getting blueprints for items is a shitload easier. Given this, I'm curious what peoples thoughts on blueprint wipes are, so I set up this poll.
Please note: This poll will not necessarily determine the blueprint wipe policy on Rustafied.com servers, it is more of a gauge on where the community stands.
"Unreliable crappy explosive device." That is the summary of the newest thing that goes boom in Rust, and it is pretty accurate. This improvised explosive doesn't deal much damage and has a fuse which is prone to going out. Thankfully, you can pick it up and try again (if it hasn't rolled down a fucking hill). Here's some more details:
- Cost to craft:
- 50 gun powder
- 20 metal frags
- Crafting time: 30 seconds
- It is not a default blueprint (but a pretty common drop)
- It fails to detonate sometimes
- Watch out, there is a slight chance that picking up a failed grenade will start a 3 second fuse!
- The fuse is about 5 seconds (although sometimes as long as 15)
- Doesn't do much damage to walls / buildings
- Doesn't hurt players very much either
Edit: Helk just turned up grenade damage by about 30%, so it should be more deadly now (F1 grenades got a boost too).
A new way to navigate the procedural landscape of Rust, paper maps can be drawn on, traded, looted... you name it! Once you find the blueprint (or research it), it can be crafted for 10 paper. Draw on it just like a sign, but be careful what you put, anyone holding it can see the info.
Petur has been head down all week on unsucking Hapis island. The results have yet to be seen, however, the commits look promising: spawns are fixed, rad towns have been added, rivers have water, and some other stuff. Note: as of now, the branch has not been merged to main, so it is not confirmed for this update.
Edit: Doesn't look like it's going to make it into this update.
Several things have been done this week to address the shitty performance. Most notably, Garry halved the number of trees and reduced the animal count. This is significant because AI one of the most taxing things on the server and SpeedTrees fail to live up to their name in Unity 5. How much have these changes improved performance? We won’t really know till we can stress test with 200 people in our main server.
Another in the realm of performance fixes, the UI has been enhanced. It responds quicker, has a snappier drag and drop, and you no longer drop items between the cracks.
Rivers no longer just look like water, they behave like it too. This means you’ll get wet and be slowed down by the current.
Minh has increased the size of horses by 20%. Not too exciting necessarily in itself (although bigger targets are nice). The thing that gets me is I know in my heart of hearts this was done in preparation for riding horses. Although no definitive timeline is known, the functionality is confirmed; and I can’t fucking wait to do some Rust Highway Patrol streams from horseback!
- SMG - Confirmed!
- Blue shirts are fixed
- Black hole sun is gone
- No more checksum disconnects
- Arrow projectile velocity has been nerfed
- Iron sights no longer FOV dependent
- Better banning - bans family share
- Better status - can specify partial name (admin only)
Rustafied.com server wipes
Here’s the status of wipes on each of our servers:
- Main (200 slot) - Wiped Tuesday evening so doesn’t need a wipe with the update. That said, depending on performance after the update, we may have to wipe again Friday afternoon to ensure smooth gameplay through the weekend.
- Low pop - Not planning on wiping anytime soon. The priority of low pop, more than smooth gameplay, is wiping as little as possible. That means I’ll only wipe this if it’s forced or gameplay is severely broken.
- Dev branch - Will be wiping at some point today, stay tuned.
- Hapis - Will be wiping with the update (providing the unsuck Hapis stuff launches).
Keep those streams comin!
Later tonight, if for some reason you're not playing Rust, tune in to the Rustafied Twitch for me answering the question: Is Hapis unsucked? I'll be starting as a fresh spawn after the wipe and seeing how habitable this updated level is. Feel free to watch and ask any Rust related questions you may have.
Edit: Given it doesn't look like Hapis will be unsucked this week, I'm going to stream some beancan grenade / SMG testing for a bit before the wipe on our dev server (time permitting), then the fresh start after the wipe.
Question? Comments? Join the conversation at Rustaforum.com