6:24pm EST - Added a new rocket launcher video below. Also, we will be having a rocket launcher party on our development server tonight at 8pm EST. Free rocket launchers for all (make sure you're opted into the development branch).
2:30pm EST - The new stair types have been added (U and L shaped). See gallery at the bottom of this post.
5:30am EST - It is the dawn of a new era for explosives in Rust; Helk finished implementing the rocket launcher. It looks great, is loud as fuck, whizzes rockets through the air… what’s not to love? This post covers the details of our new boomstick (in game footage at the bottom). Before we get into that, let's look at some pictures…
What's it cost?
Once you find the blueprints for everything, you can craft with the following:
600 metal frags
80 metal frags
Does it raid?
Not surprisingly, rockets are not as effective against buildings as C4. They do, however, have the advantage of traveling much further than C4 can be thrown. Here’s how many rockets it takes for each tier:
- Twig - 1 rocket
- Wood - 2 rockets
- Stone - 4 rockets
- Sheet Metal - 2 rockets
- Armored - 6 rockets
- It is pretty wildly inaccurate at distances
- This inaccuracy is exacerbated by the fact you cannot aim down the sights yet (edit: you now can aim down the sight, but it is still hard to aim)
- You’ll need to find the Rocket Launcher and Rocket blueprints to craft (along with explosives)
- It fires one round at a time (duh)
- A direct hit will kill any player, no matter how geared
- It is pretty fucking fun to fire
See it in action
Here’s a short video I put together to give you a taste of this bad boy in action.
Update - Just took this video below of some more rocket action:
Extra: New stair types
The U and L shaped stair types are in, giving builders much more options when it comes to traveling between levels. Here's a peek at what they look like:
Now for the question on everyone's mind: Is the server wiping? Here's the lowdown:
- Main 200 slot - will wipe tomorrow with the update.
- Development branch - will wipe late tonight after the Rocket Launcher party.
- Low pop - Will not wipe tomorrow (trying to make it till next forced wipe).