7:00pm EST - Helk has committed a bunch of changes to the auto turret:
- explosives will now destroy turrets
- turret can never be placed on terrain
- turret can be repaired with hammer
- turrets wont target other turrets
- can no longer loot turret while online
- turret will no longer track targets when shot and offline
- increased explosive protection
- fixed turret high network usage
- fixed turret not destroying when foundation was destroyed under it
- turret will not track players that are no longer visible to it
- turret will no longer aggro on authed players who attack it
- turret has 12 ammo slots & proper loot panel
5:01pm EST - Our main, 300 slot server just wiped. Have fun!
4:45pm EST - The devblog just came out. Great stream everyone, thanks for tuning in!
3:00pm EST - The update preview stream is live! twitch.tv/rustafied
12:40pm EST - It is Thursday, so you know what that means: Devblog time! Remember, it is an off week, so there is no update scheduled to launch today.
Auto turret is on dev!
That’s right, Helk has merged the auto turret branch into main, making it officially live on the development branch. The new automated killing machine is bound to change base defence forever. Here are some details and pictures...
Don’t expect to see turrets on every corner of every base, these puppies are not easy to craft. A non-default blueprint, the auto turret takes 2 minutes to craft and requires items which can only be found at attack helicopter crash sites:
- 1 Assault Rifle
- 50 High Quality Metal
- 1 CCTV Camera
- 1 Targeting Computer
With 500 HP, the auto turret is susceptible to melee attacks and bullets. Dealing about 20 hp damage per swing, a hatchet will make short work of it. If you decide to go the bullet route, you’ll need about 45 rifle rounds to destroy it. And, much to the chagrin of turret owners, hammers do not currently repair health.
Edit: Helk confirmed turrets will be repairable in the future.
Given its main purpose is base defense, the auto turret can only placed on foundations and floors.
Given the firing mechanism is an assault rifle, it makes sense the auto turret takes 5.56 ammo. With 6 slots available to place bullets, the total capacity is 384 rounds.
As with all weapons, balance is key. The first iteration of the auto turret has a short range (20-30m) and a 180 degree firing radius. You won’t be able to place it down in a field and have it clear the landscape.
Similar to tool cupboards, users will have to authorize on the turret to ensure they don’t get mowed down. Watch out, anyone will be able to authorize / clear the list (if they say, sneak up behind it).