10/3 @ 11:50am EST - The last patch still had buildings falling on restart so we needed to wipe again. It looks like the issue is fixed now so we shouldn't have to wipe again soon.
11:00pm EST - So here’s the deal: The server hotfix which came out before does appear to have improved the client crashing issues for some (it's still crashing though). Unfortunately, it also wiped most buildings off of the map on restart of the server (only leaving some sleeping bags and floating boxes). This in mind, I just updated and wiped the maps on our servers. Expect some (much needed) hotfixes tomorrow.
7:50pm EST - The client / server update came out several hours ago accompanied by a hotfix shortly after. Many reports of client crashes, duplicate (desynced) players, low frames, mass freezes, etc. Fun, fun!
2:40pm EST - Update stream goes live in 20 minutes! twitch.tv/rustafied
2:26pm EST - The small stash has been added! It's a default blueprint, 30 cloth and has 6 slots.
10:06am EST - It’s that time again, the update comes out today. I’ll be the first to say: This is not the most feature rich patch. In fact, as of this moment, the amount of forward facing changes is limited. That said, this update does feature some potentially huge changes to Rust. Along with a significant amount of work being done to optimize server performance, the achilles heal of servers, collider limit has been conquered (well, maybe).
As usual, this first update of the month will force a map wipe on all servers (no forced blueprint wipe). Tune in to our live update stream starting at 3pm EST and follow @Rustafied throughout the day for updates.
Update preview video
Don’t feel like reading? Check out our update preview video!
One of the main priorities this update cycle, server performance has been chipped away at the past 2 weeks. Batching, pooling, protobuffers and a whole shitload of garbage; the long and short is: Garry, Andre and team have made some significant strides towards optimizing the underlying code of the game. Will this hard work pay off? Are server freezes a thing of the past? As with many significant changes to a code base, there’s no way of telling until stress tested in the wild.
Given they’ve changed a literal shitload of underlying components of the entire game, expect some shit to go wrong. The development branch has been pretty unstable the past several days, and although the a bunch of issues have been resolved, there’s still some bugs in play (server crashes, NRE’s, invisible building parts, etc).
The days of weekly wipes on populated servers are numbered, collider batching is in effect with this update. By merging the colliders of similar objects, Andre has increased the time it’ll take servers to hit the dreaded Unity 5 collider limit. Like the changes to performance, we won’t really be able to see how well this is working till it’s live on populated servers.
Helk has performed some balance on the bows, crossbows and arrows:
- Bows fire slightly slower
- Bows have much reduced headshot damage
- Bows have a little more aim recoil
- Crossbows fire arrows with much higher velocity (50% instead of 20% )
- HV arrows are 'thinner'
Answering the community poll of last week, Helk has made all bullets travel significantly faster. Although you’ll need to get used to re-aligning how you lead your targets, this’ll be a very welcomed change to gunplay.
Attack helicopter changes
Accompanying the bullet speed changes, Helk has tweaked some of the fundamentals of the attack helicopter event, making it much harder to take down. Here’s the specifics:
- Napalm strike added to deter campers (no more circling around quarry's for cover)
- Hitboxes of weak points have been made smaller
- You can no longer shoot through parts of the helicopter to hit weak points
- Loot available after 8 minutes (no longer accessible when fire is burning)
- An exploit using the cupboard has been fixed
Alex has done some tweaks and fixes for sounds. Here’s the lowdown:
- First pass at thunder sounds
- 3rd person reload sound works again
- Wounded heartbeat loop has been toned down
- Rockets can be heard from a bit farther away
- Metal and wood door impact sounds
- Silenced gunshots tweaked
- Developer console command is now only available to admins
- Roof building blocks cost less and are stronger
- Gibs added for signs and various other things
- Player flinch animations toned down
- New FX for blood and various other things
- EAC updated