Although there was no patch this week, the devblog yesterday had some pretty exciting stuff. New weapon mods, improved iron sights, new dungeons, fixes for stuttering, and more; all in all, it looks like the two week release schedule is working out well.
To top all that off, we saw a brief teaser of the secret Helk has been working on for some time. The reveal of which, caused much excitement but also raised concerns for some. Easing some concerns, I’d like to clarify a few things...
Let’s talk attack helicopters
Helk shared this secret with me the other month and I must say, it’s been hard keeping my lips sealed. In that time, we’ve had several chances to discuss the specifics of this functionality, some of which, I’ll share with you now:
- Players will not fly or control this helicopter, it is a new server event (like an airdrop but much more complex and cool).
- After a certain interval of time, the helicopter will fly in and start patrolling the server for targets (starting at the beach, then going between monuments).
- Targets are defined as geared players wandering the server (it will not be raining a hellfire of rockets and machine guns on every naked in sight).
- Once a valid target is found (or if someone shoots at it), it’ll become interested and start orbiting / engaging said target.
- If all targets are destroyed, it’ll continue patrol.
- A fresh helicopter will only be susceptible to bullets on specific places (main rotor, tail rotor, and engine). This will force players to really line up their shots as opposed to just spraying all willy-nilly.
- Once all 3 parts are sufficiently damaged, the entire helicopter will become susceptible to gunfire.
- If downed, the crash site will have large fireballs / oil fires for several minutes (accompanied by a huge plume of smoke you can see far away). This means you can’t loot it immediately and it’ll give an opportunity for other players to contest the site.
- Once the fires go out, you’ll be able to grab some top tier loot.
- If not destroyed after 15 minutes of patrolling, the helicopter will fly away (and the event is over).
I am really freaking excited about this idea. Not only does it look fucking awesome, it’ll up the PvE element of the game big time; encouraging people to work together and providing a new adrenaline rush to gameplay. Keep in mind, none of this is set in stone, balance and tweaking will of course be needed. That said, Helk isn’t planning on releasing this half cocked; he wants it to be top quality from the get-go.
Stay tuned for more on this new event as it comes to light.
9/17 Update: Here are the admin commands. More on the update summary post.
Admin commands for the Attack Helicopter:
- heli.bulletAccuracy ( 2 default, higher is less accurate )
- heli.bulletDamageScale (1 default, multiplier*)
* bullet damage is 10, meaning, 'damagescale 2' would be 20 damage
Last night, the holosight branch was merged into main, making this new weapon attachment available to people opted into the development branch. Here are a couple details and pictures of this new mod:
- It is a rare, non-default blueprint
- It costs 60 high quality metal and takes 120 seconds to craft
- It can be placed on any weapon which can hold a silencer (all guns except revolver, waterpipe and eoka)
- It does have more zoom than normal iron sights (see second row of pictures below)
- The dot is a little shaky at the moment, however, I expect that will be fixed before the update next week
New iron sights
In conjunction with setting up the holosight, Garry has redone the system for iron sights. Here are some screens of what the new iron sights look like for each gun:
Update preview video
Can’t wait for the update next week? Check out this video summary of what’s in store!