12/30 @ 1:30pm EST - Not a whole lot going on today and I wouldn't expect much over the next several days either. Load times on the server were getting out of hand so I just wiped (we're making it about 3 days between wipes at this point).
2:16pm EST - And we’re back! I hope everyone had an excellent Christmas. Given new years is in a couple days, this will be another slow week for Rust development. Even so, some commits are happening and I’ll keep you up to date. We have not seen any updates launch recently, so the changes below aren't live on the main branch yet. First, Garry posted the final devblog of 2014 yesterday...
As the year comes to an end, it is a powerful practice to reflect on the previous 12 months. For the final devblog of the year, Garry gave an overview of some mistakes made and lessons learned. If you haven’t read it already, here’s a summary:
- There will be less fluff in the devblogs going forward. The new focus will be on stuff that is actually in the game.
- Although there are some hiccups, Easy Anti Cheat is working pretty well; using a third party for this was a good idea.
- Early access helped sell a bunch of copies but that spike isn’t sustainable; it would have probably been better to just sell through the site for a year.
- The reboot should have focused more on playability and getting to baseline.
- Gameplay, stability and performance are the top priorities. After that, cool shit from the mindmap will start being added.
Although there have been many frustrating points this year, I’m happy with where Rust is and where it’s headed. I continue to be impressed with the level of transparency and openness from Facepunch and can’t wait to see how this game progresses over the next year!
Fall damage is back
Fall damage is one of those things which keeps coming and going. Figures it would change today, I just updated the text on this question in our FAQ last night. At the moment, if you jump from high up you won’t sustain fall damage (unless you’re on a slant, then you’ll sometimes get damage). As of the next update, you’ll get fall damage all the time.
Along with fall damage, Garry has had several other commits today. Most of them are pretty code dense (i.e., Splitting up Cl_BasePlayer into partials) but the focus appears to be on fixes and debugging (hopefully getting to the bottom of building pieces not showing for some).
Minh has completed the 3rd person animations for the 2-handed spear hold. Here’s a video of it in action.